Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Quotation Project

I have always been attracted to quotations from the wise and witty personages that have populated my particular line of sight. I sometimes think I may be a "quote-a-holic" if there is such a thing, and I confess to having a nasty habit of posting them in prominent locations, as if they were some kind of totem. Sometimes I will drop one, post-it note style, in a public place. I like to imagine it will find the person that will derive some benefit from it.

It occurs to me today that this blog is a "public place". Limited traffic to be sure, but still public. To this end, I am going to begin a little "Quotation Project" here on the Monday Mike Chronicles. This will entail my simply posting various quotations. Sometimes with brief comment, but I imagine more often just letting them just stand alone.

My hope is that you may also find this enjoyable. Maybe you might be inclined to pass them on yourself. If a particular quote resonates with you, I would love to hear why. It would also be appealing to me if you would, from time to time, leave a quote of your own for me to chew on. If you feel so inclined.

Let me kick things off with a gem from one of the great wits of the 19th century:


"Be yourself. Everybody else is already taken" -Oscar Wilde


(Funny and wise at the same time. Not easy to do.)

2 comments:

Jacob Feldman said...

A quote from G.K. Chesterton's "On Running After One's Hat":

An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.

I've enjoyed GKC's work beginning with the first piece I read, which I believe was "The Man Who Was Thursday". He was a prolific writer and was often very insightful. I've often thought it was a pity that he's been so overlooked, in my opinion likely due to his conservative nature during a ta time when the romantics and transcendentalists were writing. Despite his conservative tendencies, he aligned himself as such after considerable thought on the matter, something that is reflected in his writing.

The above quote is representative of his wisdom, and I am of the opinion that everyone ought to read a little Chesterton.

ML1959 said...

Thanks Jacob. I know of Chesterton mostly as an apologist for the Christianity and the Roman Catholic Church. At one time I had copies of "Orthodoxy" and "The Everlasting Man". I remember him as having quite an agile mind.